Friday, October 23, 2015

Melbourne Knowledge Week cont.

Wow, it has already been a week! Melbourne Knowledge Week is almost over and I've been attending a lot of the free panels. I've went to so many panel, but they're all really exciting! So far, I haven't dozed off in any of them and they're all an hour to two hours! Lol... That means it's good stuff. Though one thing I noticed about myself is that I'm a pretty pessimistic person. There was a panel talking about an organization called B Lab that assist companies on being a "benefit corporation." Basically a company that is environmentally friendly, produce reusable products, green, etc. The whole time, I was thinking "well, I don't think these kind of companies are sustainable and in the end it's all about the money." I'm trying to change this way of thinking and be more open minded. It's all good though. I've met a few friends here and there.

One thing I still couldn't do is ask questions at the end of the panel. Why can't I be like Cathy and just speak up; ignore what people think! I don't think it's because of that. I think when I'm not confidently comfortable with a certain subject, I won't ask questions because I feel like I will make a fool of myself. I tend to do that and when I try to speak up, I trip all over my thoughts and it would come out sounding stupid. Why do I say that? Because There were two panels that I actually asked questions -- "Your Boring Life Gamified" and "The Future of Wearable Technology." I am really into those topics, so I won't feel uncomfortable asking questions because I understand the topic enough to not make a foolish question. There was this one panel about how University of Melbourne is trying really hard to change their way of teaching; teach to be open minded and creativity. Getting a diploma means setting yourself up for diplomacy. We need to get today's generation to be ready to solve all the issues that has been created in this world. I really wanted to ask a question, but I just couldn't get it out.

"I'm from Boston and in the US, we really embrace creativity and thinking outside of the box. That's why we have so many entrepreneurs that have created the most successful companies in the world e.g. Google, Apple, Microsoft, Facebook, etc. I'm not sure if this is correct, but I have been told that in China, education do not explore the field of thinking outside of the box. When they face a problem, they do not understand how to take a different route because there's only one way to doing things. Not just China, but I'd think a few other countries might have such approach. What kind of impact would you think this will cause because clearly it's not affecting China in any way because they are currently one of the biggest economy in the world." I'm sure the answer would be because they have the population and the cheap labor lol...

Another question I wanted to ask in another panel was "Knowledge sharing is definitely the most valuable skills we can have in this society because it promotes growth. When I heard of Melbourne Knowledge Week, I spent the whole night looking through my brochure picking out all of the events that I would like to attend. And you know what ended up happening? I only picked out all of the free events. I didn't even bat an eye on the ones where I'd have to pay to attend. Would the desire of profit stump the growth for more knowledge in this world? I'm not sure about the education cost in Australia. But in a few more years, who knows if ordinary families can still afford a university study."

When I type it out, it sounds fluent and nice, but I'm sure I would have butchered it if I asked it at the panel. QQ; Oh well. It's not that important I guess lol. If I get an answer to those questions, it would just satisfy my curiosity and get other people's opinions. After all, they're all really big people in Australia that has done great things. But would it add to my knowledge? Who knows... I'm sure I'm slowly getting better at this asking question thing. Cathy is my role model! :)

That's really all really... Really. Also, toothpaste is my worse enemy. My first tube got stolen! Now my second tube has a hole in it!!! Wth?! I accidentally squished it too hard in my bag that it popped a hole. It leaked all over my toiletries and I thought it was because I left my bar of soap in the bag and it wasn't fully dried yet. When I started using my toothpaste, I notice a hole in it... -_-

In other news, I met two friends at my hostel because they saw me playing League of Legends ahah... It's great how games can bring people together too, em i rite? (: They're cool people from Germany, so it's cool!

Time to get some sleep! I don't have any early panels tomorrow, so it's all good. I can't wait for my barista course! I paid AU$300 for it, so it better be good! @_@; Until then, good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment